As a lover of the mystical and spiritual world, you may have heard about the practice of charging crystals under the moonlight.
This process is believed to cleanse and energize these precious stones, reviving their inherent vibrational frequencies and abilities.
However, while the practice may seem straightforward, it can be nuanced and requires specific knowledge.
In this guide, I’ll delve into the details and answer some critical questions regarding charging crystals in moonlight.
Why Charge Crystals In Moonlight?
Crystals, according to esoteric beliefs, can absorb and emit energy. This energy may be influenced by various factors, including environmental stresses, the thoughts and emotions of people around them, and much more.
Over time, the energy that a crystal holds can become stagnant or unbalanced. To refresh and replenish a crystal’s energy, cleansing and charging is required, and moonlight is considered a gentle and effective method for this.
Which Crystals Cannot Be Charged in Moonlight?
Most crystals can be charged under the moonlight without any adverse effects. The moon’s gentle energy is typically safe for all stones.
However, there are a few exceptions. Generally, very soft stones or those with a high water content may not fare well in dew or frost if you are charging your crystals outdoors.
Examples include Selenite, which can dissolve in water, and Lapis Lazuli, which can be damaged by excessive moisture.
I’d also take great care with all types of Calcite and charging these outdoors as they’re fairly soft crystals that are easily damaged.
If you’re unsure about a particular crystal, research its individual properties before leaving it out overnight.
Or, even better, charge it on your window sill instead – I’ll share moon on this later.
How Long Do Crystals Need to Charge in the Moonlight?
Ideally, you should aim to leave your crystals out for the duration of the night when the full moon is present.
If the weather is not permitting, placing them on a windowsill where they can bask in the moonlight is also an excellent option.
The peak time to charge crystals is during a full moon when lunar energy is most potent, but if you miss the full moon, you can charge your crystals the night before or the day night after when the moon is still relatively full.
Remember, it’s more about the intention you set than the exact duration. If you can only leave them out for a couple of hours, don’t stress—it’s the act of recharging and your intention that matters most.
Do Crystals Need to Be in Direct Moonlight?
Direct moonlight is not necessary for charging your crystals. Moon energy is uniquely potent and pervasive; it can permeate through clouds and windows.
However, if you have the option, placing them outside directly under the moonlight can be more potent due to the direct connection with nature and the elements – meaning they can be cleansed by the Earth and then charged by the moon.
But, if that’s not possible, charging them on the windowsill is just fine.
I often prefer to charge my own crystals on the windowsill as I don’t have to worry about forgetting to bring them in the next morning. And I also don’t need to stress about the weather changing overnight.
Tips And Advice For Charging Crystals In Moonlight
- Cleanse Before Charging: I see so many people go wrong with this one! Before charging your crystals, it’s beneficial to cleanse them. This can be done in various ways, such as smudging with sage or bathing in salt water (for crystals that can tolerate water). Although the moon does possess some cleansing qualities, the practice of placing them in moonlight is designed more for charging. And before you charge your crystals, you really want to make sure all unwanted energy has been removed.
- Set An Intention: As you place your crystals under the moonlight, set an intention for each one. Hold the crystal in your hand, close your eyes, and clearly envision the crystal being recharged and revitalised. You can also start to tune the crystal to what you want it to help you with at this point, but I’d recommend reinforcing this after the charging too.
- Use A Natural Surface If Possible: If you’re charging your crystals outside, place them directly on the earth or a natural surface. The grounding energy of the earth cleanses the crystals and then amplifies the charging process. But don’t worry if this isn’t possible, they will be just as effectively charged from your window.
- Collect Your Crystals At Dawn: To prevent any solar energy from interfering with the moon’s energy, collect your crystals at dawn before the sunlight hits them directly. If your crystals have dew on them when you bring them in, be sure to dry them thoroughly.
- Respect The Elements: Be mindful of the weather. Rain, snow, or excessive dew can damage certain stones. If the forecast is uncertain, charge your crystals indoors by a window instead.
I love charging my crystals by moonlight – there’s nothing better than seeing them all lined up on the grass, or on the windowsill, ready to soak up her beautiful energy.
I don’t know about you, but I can almost feel my crystals vibrating with joy when they’re charging in the moonlight.
I hope this guide has helped you understand how to charge your crystals by moonlight, as well as the dos and don’ts of this practice.
If you still have any questions, I’d be happy to help – just get in touch.
- Pegasus Symbolism: Understanding The Spiritual Meaning And Dream Meaning Of Pegasus - November 5, 2023
- 50 Beautiful Moonstone Affirmations To Try - November 5, 2023
- The 6 Best Samhain Crystals To Work With This Spooky Season - October 23, 2023