Blue-coloured stones are some of the most popular stones in the world owing to their highly mystical healing powers.
Since these stones often connect to the higher chakras in the body, many people make them an integral part of their spiritual practices.
Some use them to attain higher levels of consciousness, some use them to make their meditation more effective, others use them to understand the nature of reality in all its glory, and so on.
If you find yourself being attracted to blue-coloured stones and want to get yourself a specific stone, you need to make sure you get the right one.
After all, there are so many stones and crystals that look exactly like each other. And if you don’t do your research before getting yourself a stone, you might get the wrong one.
Take, for example, dumortierite and sodalite.
At first glance, they look almost identical. Even regular crystal practitioners will have a hard time telling them apart.
So, in cases like these, it is vital to learn about the various properties of the stones so that you can make the right choice.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at dumortierite vs sodalite.
Sodalite vs Dumortierite: How To Tell Them Apart
While both these stones look similar in colour, there are subtle differences if you observe them closely.
Dumortierite mainly comes in a deep blue colour, which makes it instantly attractive.
However, its blue hues can range from pale to really dark. The blue colour of this stone is mainly the result of impurities that are present in it.
And since these impurities are randomly distributed throughout the stone, dumortierite’s colour appears unequally distributed (some parts appear to be pale blue in colour, while others appear to be darker).
Also, most people don’t know this, but dumortierite stones can be found in reddish brown, reddish pink and violet-blue colours.
Regardless of the colour, all dumortierite stones are opaque. They also have a dull and waxy lustre.
Sodalite, on the other hand, generally comes in a royal blue colour.
However, it is also found in various other shades of blue.
One of its distinctive features is the presence of white specks and veins throughout its surface.
Although the raw variant of sodalite is dull in lustre, it can be polished to achieve a very high degree of glossiness.
Dumortierite is an aluminium boro-silicate mineral. As such, it is composed of aluminium, boron, silicon and oxygen.
Sodalite is a tectosilicate mineral and is composed of sodium, aluminium, silicon, oxygen and chlorine.
Dumortierite has a hardness of 7 on the Mohs scale, which makes it decently hard. However, sodalite gets a rating of only 5.5 to 6, which puts it on the softer side.
Countries Of Origin
Dumortierite was first catalogued in 1881 by the French palaeontologist Eugene Dumortier. Therefore, it was named after him.
It is considered a semi-rare mineral that is often used in the jewellery industry.
Despite that, it can be found in many different countries around the world. It is generally mined in Poland, Norway, Italy, France, Namibia, Madagascar, the USA and Sri Lanka.
Sodalite, on the other hand, was first discovered in 1811 in Greenland.
After huge deposits of this stone were found in Ontario, Canada, it quickly become popular throughout the world as an ornamental stone.
Today, this stone is mined mainly in Australia, Portugal, China, Tanzania and Bolivia. Some rarer variants of this stone are also mined in Italy and Namibia.
Dumortierite is ruled by the planet Venus. As you may already know Venus exudes the energies of beauty, love, manifestation, romance, and passion.
Therefore, the use of this stone can bring positive changes in your life as far as love and relationships are concerned.
Sodalite is ruled by two different planets – Jupiter and Neptune. This makes it a remarkable stone since it harnesses the energies of two big planets.
Jupiter represents fortune, luck, prosperity, healing, and so on. Neptune represents intuition, spirituality, dreams, and psychic receptivity.
Therefore, using this stone can bring equal amounts of prosperity and spirituality into your life.
Dumortierite can be used by multiple signs.
For Leos, it can help them control their bossy nature and make them more positive and lovable.
For people belonging to the Libra sign, this stone can give them the courage to speak their inner truth and seek freedom in life.
For people having Taurus as their zodiac sign, this stone helps them find calmness and peace. It also waters down their stubborn nature.
Sodalite is mostly associated with the Gemini zodiac sign. It can help these people find a balance between their dual natures. It can also help them find a balance between the various aspects of their life.
Physical Healing Properties
Dumortierite has the following physical healing properties:
- It is quite effective at treating stomach aches, intestinal diseases, vomiting, nausea, and cramps.
- It is also popular for healing hypersensitivity and epilepsy.
- Another common use of this stone is to treat pain. It is especially useful for headaches, muscle pain, and other aches throughout the body.
- As a stone that resonates with the throat chakra, it can also treat illnesses like thyroid, sore throat, tonsilitis, etc.
- Dumortierite can also help people lose weight and it is the perfect stone to regulate your metabolism.
Sodalite’s physical healing properties are as follows:
- Sodalite can boost your immune system and prevent infections from taking place. It can also detoxify your internal organs which can further improve your immune system.
- This stone is also known to improve the functioning of the digestive system.
- It can also improve your metabolism and lower your blood pressure.
- For those who are undergoing chemotherapy, this stone can help to ease their pain and stabilize their energies. It can also speed up the healing process.
- If you’re having problems with your sleep, this stone will improve the quality of your sleep and help you feel more refreshed than ever.
Dumortierite has the following metaphysical properties:
- This stone can calm you down when you feel overwhelmed. It brings clarity and a sense of knowing. This can help you navigate any situation you’re in.
- As a throat chakra stone, it helps you communicate effectively and express yourself to the best of your ability.
- It also opens you up to the possibility of psychic powers. It enhances the connection between your lower chakras and higher chakras.
- By getting rid of irrational fears and enhancing your courage, this stone can provide a boost to your self-esteem.
- It can also make you communicate more clearly with guardian angels and other higher beings from the spirit plane.
Sodalite has the following metaphysical properties:
- Sodalite can enhance your extra-sensory perception and psychic abilities. If you have any hidden psychic powers, this stone will bring them out and help you take control of them.
- If you have trouble expressing your true emotions, this stone can help you tremendously. As a throat chakra stone, it can help you understand how you are feeling and also express them in ways people will understand you.
- Sodalite is also popular for boosting one’s connection with the spiritual plane. When you tap into its energies, you can reach higher states of consciousness and get a better understanding of how everything works in the universe.
- Sodalite can fill your life with peace and harmony. So, if you happen to be stressed or anxious about something in life, you should definitely use this stone.
While similar in experience, sodalite and dumortierite have different compositions and uses.
If you’re looking to purchase either of these healing stones, it’s important to know the differences of sodalite vs dumortierite to be sure you’re getting the right one for you.
- Pegasus Symbolism: Understanding The Spiritual Meaning And Dream Meaning Of Pegasus - November 5, 2023
- 50 Beautiful Moonstone Affirmations To Try - November 5, 2023
- The 6 Best Samhain Crystals To Work With This Spooky Season - October 23, 2023