Peridot and Emerald are both widely used for their healing properties and they are also well-known birthstones.
However, some people do find themselves confused when trying to tell these crystals apart.
Although they are both green crystals, and will naturally share some properties, they do differ quite a bit in their physical and metaphysical properties, so it’s important to make sure that you get the right crystal for yourself.
With that in mind, let’s see how to tell the difference between emerald and peridot.
What Is The Difference Between Peridot And Emerald?
This is perhaps the easiest way to differentiate between the two crystals – as long as you are a little familiar with both.
Peridot is typically found in a bright, lime-green colour, while Emerald has a richer green hue.
Another point of difference between the two is their clarity. The raw variant of Peridot happens to be a more translucent stone with a glassy appearance. However, raw Emerald is often cloudier with visible inclusions.
Peridot is composed of magnesium, iron, silicon, and oxygen. Its chemical formula is (Mg, Fe)2SiO4.
Emerald is composed of beryllium, aluminium, silicon, and oxygen. Its chemical formula is (Be3Al2(SiO3)6).
Peridot has a hardness of 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs scale, making it a relatively durable gemstone.
Emeralds have a hardness of 7.5 to 8. This means that Emeralds are even more durable and scratch-resistant than Peridot.
Countries of Origin
Peridot is found in volcanic rocks and can be mined in places like Arizona, Hawaii, Myanmar, and Egypt.
Emeralds are typically found in sedimentary rocks and are most commonly mined in Colombia, Zambia, and Brazil.
Peridot is associated with the Leo zodiac sign or, more generally, those born in August. As such, it acts as a great talisman for harmony and peace for this sign and those born at this time of year.
Emerald, on the other hand, is associated with the Taurus and Gemini zodiac signs. It has an amplifying effect on the energies of people born under these signs.
Both these crystals are associated with the heart chakra. So, there is no difference between Peridot and Emerald in this regard.
According to numerology, Peridot vibrates at the energies of the number 6. This number represents family, love, domestic happiness, and service to others.
Emerald vibrates at the energies of the number 4. As such, it exudes qualities such as hard work, responsibility, pragmatism, and organisation.
Peridot And Emerald: An Overview Of Their Physical Healing Properties
Peridot has the following physical healing properties:
- Peridot is said to have a healing effect on your digestive system. It can help to cure issues such as bloating, indigestion, and constipation.
- This crystal also positively impacts your heart health and circulatory system. It can support the strengthening of the muscles of the heart and can help to lower your blood pressure and make sure that blood flow happens optimally throughout the body.
- Peridot can even prove to be beneficial for your skin health. It is said to cure ailments such as acne, psoriasis, and eczema.
- This crystal can also improve your vision and protect the eyes from harmful UV rays.
- Crystal healers often use Peridot for its ability to strengthen one’s immune system. This helps people find relief from diseases and disorders.
- If you happen to be suffering from bronchitis, asthma, or other respiratory health issues, peridot can significantly help you treat your conditions.
Emerald has the following physical healing properties:
- Emerald is said to have a healing impact on the skeletal as well as the muscular systems of the body. As such, it can alleviate your joint pain, muscle cramps, and other disorders relating to the two systems.
- For a long time now, this crystal has been believed to ward off epilepsy or the “falling sickness.” If someone has this condition, this crystal can greatly stabilise it and provide relief.
- Emerald is said to have a regenerative effect on the body. As such, if any of your tissues need repairs, Emerald is the perfect crystal for the job.
- This crystal is also said to soothe headaches. So, if you frequently suffer from headaches, you should definitely keep an Emerald with you.
- Emerald can also rejuvenate tired organs and muscles. This can come in handy when you have had a long day or during your travels.
Peridot And Emerald: An Overview Of Their Metaphysical Healing Properties
Peridot has the following metaphysical properties:
- A really popular property of Peridot is that it is a great mood stabiliser. If you tend to experience wild mood swings or negative emotions a lot, Peridot can greatly help you. It will wash away the negative emotions from your being and allow brighter emotions to take their place.
- Peridot can also work miracles for those people who are looking to let go of their egocentric behaviours. This crystal shows them that we are all part of the same consciousness and that any difference exists only in our minds. This allows people to leave their emotional baggage and advance on the path of spirituality.
- This crystal is also sometimes called the study stone. This is because it can help your mind focus on a single subject. When you do this, you are able to enhance your productivity and efficiency.
- If you have been feeling low, Peridot should be your go-to crystal for help. It will provide you with a burst of energy and motivation. It will make you more playful and help you enjoy the little pleasures in life.
Emerald has the following metaphysical properties:
- Emerald is a great crystal for all those people who feel like victims. It helps them come out of this mentality and take more responsibility for their lives. It also brightens one’s mood and fills a person with energy.
- This is also a great crystal for all those couples who are looking to deepen their relationships. It nurtures the bond between people and helps enhance romance and love. It even helps you get rid of commitment issues.
- Emerald can feel very soothing to the soul. When you start using it, you feel a sense of warmth and peace inside you.
- This crystal also helps you receive divine love and universal blessings by opening up your heart chakra and making you more compassionate and in tune with your surroundings.
Peridot and Emerald are both magnificent crystals, and they have been used for many, many years.
Although they both resonate best with the heart chakra and do share some common abilities, they are also vastly different.
When choosing crystals to work with, it’s important to do your research and to be sure that you’re being charged the right amount for the crystal you’re buying.
If you’re considering adding either Peridot or Emerald to your collection, I hope this guide has helped you differentiate between them.
- Pegasus Symbolism: Understanding The Spiritual Meaning And Dream Meaning Of Pegasus - November 5, 2023
- 50 Beautiful Moonstone Affirmations To Try - November 5, 2023
- The 6 Best Samhain Crystals To Work With This Spooky Season - October 23, 2023