Sometimes, it can be difficult to distinguish between similar-looking stones and crystals. After all, there are so many varieties out there and you might stumble upon many different ones that look exactly like the one you want.
Take, for example, Green Calcite vs Green Aventurine.
At first glance, they might appear the same, especially if you’re looking at the raw variants of each stone. However, on closer inspection, you can tell that there are major differences. It is these differences that I’m going to explore in this article.
Green Calcite Vs Green Aventurine
Green Calcite usually has a pale to medium-vibrant green colour. It is also available in translucent as well as opaque variants.
When you look at a Green Calcite stone closely, you will notice striations and banding on the surface. As for the lustre, it appears waxy and dull.
Green Aventurine (which is often mistaken for Jade) usually has a more vibrant hue and appears brighter than Green Calcite. It has a glassy look and might appear sparkly due to the presence of small flecks of mica.
Green Calcite is a type of calcium carbonate. As such, it is composed of calcium, carbon, and oxygen. Its chemical formula is CaCO3. It is also typically found in sedimentary rocks such as limestone.
Green Aventurine, on the other hand, is a type of Quartz. As such, it is composed of silicon and oxygen. Its chemical formula is SiO2. It might also contain small amounts of mica or other minerals, which give it its sparkly appearance.
This is a big point of difference between the two stones (and perhaps the easiest way to distinguish between them).
Green Calcite has a hardness rating of 3 on the Mohs scale. So, it is a very soft mineral that can easily be scratched. Not only that but it can even be damaged by water if exposed to it for prolonged periods, so it’s important to choose the right cleansing method.
Green Aventurine has a hardness rating of 7 on the Mohs scale. This makes it pretty durable and relatively scratch-resistant.
Countries of Origin
Green Calcite is mainly sourced from Mexico, Brazil, and the US. Green Aventurine is usually found in Russia, India, Brazil, and Austria.
Green Calcite is mainly associated with Virgo, Capricorn, and Cancer signs. Green Aventurine, on the other hand, is associated with Virgo and Taurus.
Both these stones are strongly associated with the heart chakra and promote feelings of love, peace, and compassion.
Physical Healing Properties
While talking about Green Aventurine vs Green Calcite, it is important to take a look at their respective physical healing properties.
Although they are both associated with the heart and the circulatory system, their healing effects go way beyond them.
Green calcite has the following physical healing properties:
- One of the best things about Green Calcite is that it strengthens your natural healing powers. As such, it speeds up the recovery process from physical injuries and illnesses. If you’ve had a particularly long and hard day, it can also help you feel energised.
- Green Calcite is also known to improve circulation and reduce inflammation in the body. This can provide relief from pain and help you feel better.
- This stone can do wonders for your bone health. For instance, it can relieve joint pain and stiffness. It can also assist with arthritis and bone ligament issues. It can even improve the absorption of calcium in the body, which improves your overall bone health.
- If you suffer from sleep disorders, Green Calcite can help you in this regard too. It can promote healthy sleep patterns by calming your brain.
- Green Calcite is also said to support the respiratory system, by helping reduce inflammation in the lungs and improving breathing.
Green Aventurine has the following physical healing properties:
- Green Aventurine is one of the best stones to improve your immune system. It enhances your body’s ability to ward off diseases and disorders by stimulating the production of white blood cells.
- This stone can also provide relief from skin diseases, particularly acne, and eczema.
- Many crystal practitioners say that Green Aventurine is one of the go-to stones for helping relieve headaches. It can reduce tension and promote relaxation in the body. This provides relief from headaches and even migraines.
- Green Aventurine is also believed to help enhance fertility and support reproductive health by balancing hormones and promoting a healthy reproductive system.
- Finally, this green stone can heal allergic reactions. So, if you tend to suffer from allergies, you can tone them down using this stone.
Metaphysical Healing Properties
Green Calcite has the following metaphysical properties:
- Green Calcite is a great stone for emotional healing. It can help you get rid of your emotional blockages and release bottled-up feelings. This helps you feel lighter and more peaceful.
- This stone is also a great option if you want to advance spiritually. It can facilitate deeper connections with the divine and a greater connection with your higher self. It can also enhance your intuition and psychic abilities.
- Green Calcite is said to increase your motivation, which can come in handy if you have been feeling low for quite a while. This stone will give you a sense of purpose and direction in life.
- This stone also improves your communication and self-expression skills. It helps you convert your thoughts and emotions into speech much more effectively.
Green aventurine has the following metaphysical properties:
- Green Aventurine is one of the best stones to attract wealth, abundance, and prosperity into your life. If you have been looking for success in your career, this is the stone to get.
- This stone is also believed to enhance your leadership abilities. It gives you a sense of confidence and promotes a strong sense of self. This helps you lead other people effortlessly.
- If you’re looking for fresh ideas or want to enhance your creativity, green aventurine can definitely help you out. It can stimulate your imagination and help you think outside the box.
- Green Aventurine has become really popular as a stone of manifestation. You can definitely use it in your manifestation process to attract your dreams and desires.
Understanding the differences of Green Aventurine vs Green Calcite is important so you can be sure you are using the right crystal for your needs.
There are some subtle visual differences between these green crystals, but the main physical difference is their hardness.
I hope this guide has helped you understand the differences, and similarities, between Green Aventurine and Green Calcite.
If you’d like to learn more about Green Calcite compared to other crystals, take a look at my post on Green Calcite and Green Fluorite.
- Pegasus Symbolism: Understanding The Spiritual Meaning And Dream Meaning Of Pegasus - November 5, 2023
- 50 Beautiful Moonstone Affirmations To Try - November 5, 2023
- The 6 Best Samhain Crystals To Work With This Spooky Season - October 23, 2023